Saturday, September 8, 2007

The cold reality sets in

8:08am. My cell phone rings. "Hello?" "Hello, Amanda. This is your tenant." He'd received our packet we dropped off the night before and was calling to tell me three things -- 1) he wasn't going to sign our lease, 2) he'd be moved out by October 1, and 3) there's no hot water.

How's that for a wake-up call?! It's not terrible that we have to go find new renters, but we were hoping not to need to do that until after we were moved in ourselves. And I wasn't surprised to hear about the hot water, because all the plumbing is suspect and we'd planned to replace a lot of it before we moved in. But I worried that this new developments might throw our plans off course.

After some heavy prodding, Jeff eventually got up and we drove to the new house to meet my parents and deal with the hot water. My dad had been dying to see the place and I figured this was a good way to show them the house and get my Dad's help with the hot water issue. It was nice to finally show them the property, after talking about it so much for the past two months. But I'm very conscious that the place is really not move-in ready and we've got a lot of work facing us over the next five weeks.

And luckily, the hot water heater simply needed to be relit. That's one down.

No comments: